The History of Sywell Aerodrome
Our Studio Location
We are very proud to be based at Sywell Aerodrome in Northampton which is coming up to being 100 years old. The history of Sywell Aerodrome started in 1927 with the grand opening of the airfield on the 29th September 1928. In 1934 the clubhouse which is now known as the Aviator Hotel was opened by Prince Edward.
During the Second World War between 1942 – 1943 a top-secret factory was built for Lancaster. Almost 100 MK 11 Lancaster Bombers with Bristol Hercules engines were built during this time. Luckily enemies never found Sywell Aerodrome due to its heavy camouflage.
In 1965 Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip visited Sywell Aerodrome in an Andover. As there was no runway at this time, the plane unfortunately sank into the soft grass and needed a full throttle before the plane could take off to leave.
From 1995 a plan was put in place to refurbish the Aerodrome buildings and infrastructure and five years later in 2000 the Aviator Hotel opened its new art deco hotel rooms. The following year with the former helicopter hanger was renovated into Hanger One as a new events venue for the site. That same year in 2001 the Sywell Aviation Museum opened.
10 years into the renovation plan Brooklands Flying Club was launched to provide piolet training at Sywell Aerodrome along with Brooklands Engineering to provide onsite aircraft maintenance. After a 13 year planning permission battle Sywell were finally able to open a new concrete runway in 2010. In 2019 Sywell Aerodrome were presented with the AOA Best General Aviation Airfield in the UK award.